June 28 - 29, 2013 Baby, the rain must fall

The last weekend in June and the pumpkin patch was calling, "weed me, weed me!".  I dove into the grasses and weeds and found six hidden plants, well-saturated by rain but shrouded from the sun.  Fortunately, my three-hour weed fest was preceded by a late afternoon downpour so the soil was soft and moist. After I did the hard work, Jeff went back the next morning with the weed wacker and finished the job. I'm a little cautious after zero pumpkins last year, but I'll chalk it up to the drought and remain optimistic. 

Dinner on the deck - watching the clouds roll in. Quiet and peaceful between rains. 



We woke up to rain Saturday, making it the perfect morning to cozy up on the couch with a second cup of coffee and finish my book, while Jeff painted the ceiling in the mud room.  This what I saw when I finally ventured out about noon. Fresh, verdant fields and shimmery rain washed corn fields. 










During the time I walked down to the gardens and started back up the hill, the clouds returned with a vengeance and I could actually see a wall of rain moving toward me. I quickened my step but took the wrong path and had to wade through tall grasses to get to the lodge. Jeff was out in the worst of it, weed wacking around the trees and only came in when he was muddy and soaked to the bone. 

 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Marianne, I had a call today in regards to your farm. I am the Farm Bureau manager here in Carroll County. Could you please email me at carrollcfb@grics.net

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete